You don’t have to have played Minecraft for long to have already encountered a chicken. Chickens are probably one of the most common animals that you’ll encounter in the game.
And in addition to looking super cute, they are great for breeding for eggs and meat. Plus, if you want to get them to follow you around in the game, then you can tame them and get to do that.
If you’re wondering why you would want to get chickens to follow you around in the game, then I only have one answer for you — it’s kinda funny. Right?
How To Tame & Attract A Minecraft Chicken (5 Easy Steps)
Okay, so taming one of these little adorable farm animals is actually really easy. Here are the steps to do:
- Get some wheat seeds.
- Equip the wheat seeds in your hotbar.
- Find and approach a chicken with the wheat seeds in your hotbar.
- While it’s following you, lure the chicken into an enclosed space.
- Close up the space and you’ve now got a tame pet chicken.
Don’t have any wheat seeds or not sure how to get them? It’s easy – you get wheat seeds by harvesting grass.
How to harvest grass for the wheat seeds? Just punch at the grass with a stick or your hand.
You only need one wheat seed to attract a chicken in Minecraft.
Not sure where an enclosed space is that you can put the chicken? You can either build a pen to keep it in, or lure it into your house.
How To Breed Chickens In Minecraft (4 Easy Steps)
Now that you’ve got yourself a pet chicken, you might be wondering how the heck you can get some eggs from it.
Well, it takes two chickens to make an egg, so you need at least one other chicken before you can start your own little chicken breeding and egg farm in the game.
Here’s how to breed Minecraft chickens:
- Capture another chicken using the steps above so that you now have two chickens.
- Stand in front of each chicken and feed it wheat seeds. You’ll know that you did this right when you see the hearts appear from them.
- Wait for the baby chicken to be born.
- Repeat the above three steps over and over to have a thriving chicken farm.
Not sure how to feed your Minecraft chickens the wheat seeds? All you have to do is stand in front of the chicken with the wheat seeds in your hotbar.
Then, you right-click on the seeds to feed them to the chicken.
Keep in mind that in addition to breeding your chickens for eggs, you can also breed them for meat.
Here’s some examples of what your new Minecraft chicken farm might look like.
This one is really interesting because it’s an underground Minecraft chicken farm. Things look a bit cramped in there, so it may have gotten a bit out of hand.
And here’s another similar one where you can even see the eggs from the chickens littering the steps.
Other Minecraft guides you might be interested in that we have:
- How To Make A Carved Pumpkin In Minecraft (5 Easy Steps!)
- How To Breed And Tame Foxes In Minecraft
- Easy to Learn Fictional Languages: Minecraft’s Galactic Alphabet
- 10 Best Minecraft Enchantments
- 10 Strongest Mobs In Minecraft
- Why Some Minecraft Seeds Don’t Work For You
- The Best Minecraft Horse Names For Lazy Gamers
- 10 Epic Minecraft Seeds For Xbox One
- 10 Awesome Minecraft Adventure Maps
- 17+ Awesome Minecraft PE Seeds – Minecraft Bedrock Edition Seeds [2020 Update]
- Minecraft: Why Do Seeds Pop Out From Dirt When Planted Sometimes?